Thursday, February 28, 2013

Galileo's Moons


If I could sail a thousand miles;
Just to be with you.
I’d navigate to the stars above,
and Galileo’s moons.
Polaris and the Southern Cross,
Are stretched so far and wide.
They light my path and give me hope;
I’ll have you by my side.

When seas are calm I hoist my sails;
And bid a fond farewell.
Then soon enough the skies grow dark,
As seas begin to swell.
It matters not how long it takes,
The danger or the gloom.
For on starry nights your face appears
In Galileo’s moons.

I’ve sailed so long; I’ve sailed so far;
The days turned into years.
In all that time I’ve kept my faith;
And pushed aside my fears.
My compass is my aide-de-camp;
My mast and rudder too.
And when it’s dark I search the skies,
For Galileo’s moons.

When I was young I hatched a plan
The dream I tried to hide.
But life took hold and swept me up
And took away my pride.
And here I stand alone and old;
My heart still young and true.
If I reach your shores its thanks alone
To Galileo’s moons.

I wrote this poem back in 2011 after I'd read a beautiful book called "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel, one of my favorite non-fiction authors. Inspiration can come from almost any source!

Update 2017: 2 new poems!


I soar on wings of silver light;
And bathe in clouds of purest white;
This silent floating capsule glows;
From golden rays the sun bestows;
Through temperate to tropic zones,
O’er earth’s majestic fields I roam;
Then all at once an isle appears—
A bastion of the Caribbees!
Where Columbus and his mariners sailed,
The Spanish, French and Dutch prevailed.
With their galleons and gold doubloons,
Forgotten cays, sailors marooned;
Changing the course of history—
All shrouded in its mystery;
From cannon’s boom to cyclone’s roar--
Desperate sailors washed ashore;
From Cuba down to Port of Spain,
The kingdom of the sugar cane!
Where slaves and Caribs toiled in vain,
And blood was spilled and fortunes gained;
What secrets lie beneath the waves,
In these lands of sugar, rum and slaves?

(Written in April 2016 while flying down to Miami)


I was walking in a park down in the Caribbees;
And there I spied an ancient bust beneath the lignum vitae trees,
A king of noble countenance,
With eyes both brave and true,
Our meeting was not happenstance,
As I will relate to you.

‘Twas many years ago they say when Denmark ruled these lands,
The sugar mill and fields of cane and beaches of white sand,
When Dannebrog at last came down,
The people wept and cried,
Forsaken by both king and crown,
No longer Denmark’s pride.
From the ashes of the Schleswig War arose a king anointed,
The House of Glücksburg’s proud defender, to Denmark’s throne appointed,
Two Duchies lost through toil and strife,
So many young lives taken!
For Dannebrog they paid the price,
Let not their memories be forsaken!
King Christian has bequeathed his bust so all may come and see,
This noble, proud and handsome man, a friend to all indeed,
“Fear not the hurricane,” says he.
“Nor plague nor scourge nor war,”
“For as long as I remain here,”
“Peace will reign and guard these shores!”
(Written August 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment